Monday, November 15, 2010

PDFE #12

There are two types of extrinsic feedback: Knowledge of results (KR) or Knowldege of performance (KP). Knowledge of results is when the teacher or observer tells the learner or the one performing the action something about what they did. They are usually repetitive in the sense that the observer reminds the person performing of what they did and how to improve it. But it is usually just a reminder of what the performer did during the task. Knowledge of performance, also known as kinematic feedback, when the teacher or instructor is being more critical and telling them what they did wrong rather than just reminding the performer on their actions during the activity.

During our activity in Monday night’s class, we were required to be blind folded but yet make a mark on a line on a piece of paper. We had partners who could tell us how far off we were or if we were right on. However, one partner had knowledge of results feedback while the other could only have knowledge of results when they requested it. I received knowledge of results consistently from my partner as I performed this lab. After every trial she would give me a little criticism but usually tell me how my marks were looking. She was acknowledging me on my results every time. She however was only allowed to receive results when she asked for them. I only told her how she did when she asked. But when she did ask I critiqued how off she was or told her if she was right on. I told her how far off or how close she was when she asked. But I rarely applauded her for getting right on because I was not allowed to tell her how close she was. We each did three sections of ten trials. When she went, she only requested knowledge of her results a max of 3 times during each section. Then during the retention test, I was not allowed to give her any feedback. The same went for me as I did the retention test. Note that the point of this lab was to practice making marks on a line while either receiving or not receiving knowledge of results. Then we were to do the final retention test without receiving any information about the results. The results, according to the book, should have been that my partner, who only received information when she requested it, should have done better because she was basically coaching herself. Where as I, who had criticism the whole practice, should not have done as well. Our results were a little off according to the book because I actually did better on the final retention test. However this could have been persuaded by many factors. She could have misunderstood some of my criticism therefore doing poorly during the practice thus resulting poorly in the final test. Or I could have been able to retain memory of where the line is better than she did. There are quite a few things that could have thrown off the results. However, we know that in a perfect setting that she should have actually done better than me during the final test. 

No comments:

Post a Comment