Tuesday, October 5, 2010

PDFE #4- Interview


For PDFE #4 I interviewed Kirsten McFarland who is a social studies teacher at a private high school. She also coaches varsity football cheerleading and competition cheerleading.

Question: What was your major when you graduated from college?
Answer: Social Science Education with an emphasis in history

Question: Did you attend graduate school?
Answer: No

Question: How did you get interested in coaching?
Answer: Once I realized that I wanted to teach, I knew that as a former cheerleader, coaching would be make me a more “marketable” job candidate. I cheered from 4th grade until I graduated high school, both spirit squads and competition, and loved the sport.

Question: Did you do interning of any kind before?
Answer: As a high school cheerleader I was responsible for coaching a rec league squad (2nd graders, I think!), but I did not do any formal coaching internship prior to my first year of coaching. I did complete my student teaching with a high school cheerleading coach, but she wasn’t a very good example of what a coach should be J

Question: If you don’t mind me asking, what was your GPA?
Answer: At college graduation I believe it was a 3.6

Question: Do you have other skills that you feel you could pursue a different job in?
Answer: Yes! By working with students, teachers and parents on a daily basis I think I have great people skills, which could be applicable in any career field. I try to always be very organized and dedicated to my tasks. Sometimes I feel like I would make a good manager in some sort of company since I essentially manage students all day long!

Question: What kind of requirements did you have to meet in order to coach?
Anwer: I needed some sort of background in cheerleading, but my job didn’t initially require any formal training – probably a very dangerous thing since cheerleading is so dangerous. Once I was officially a coach, I did participate in several coaching clinics.

Question: What kind of requirements did you have to meet in order to teach?
Answer: Hold a valid degree from an accredited college/university, & possess a valid teaching certificate as proof that I passed a variety of tests given by the state of Georgia

Question: Do you think you will always teach/coach high school?
Answer: I have no idea! I love what I’m doing now, but if a different opportunity came along I might consider it!

Question: If you were to give me advice on pursuing coaching or teaching, what would it be?
Answer:
- Coaching: Be organized and dedicated! Cheerleaders are rarely recognized for their efforts (especially squads that just cheer football/basketball) so you have to believe in what you do. Stay organized so you don’t loose your mind J and since safety is always an issue, take as many classes/coaching clinics as possible so you know what you’re doing.
- Teaching: You have to love what you do because it is very time consuming and takes a great deal of dedication. Always keep in mind why chose to become a teacher (the big picture) so the little day-to-day stuff doesn’t get in the way or bog you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment